Lightfair: NXP gets serious about Internet-enabled smart lighting
May 16, 2012 // Christoph Hammerschmidt
What if every light bulb had an Internet IP address? Since NXP Semiconductors N.V. first raised the question at Lightfair International (LFI) nearly one year ago, interest in IPv6-enabled smart lighting has soared. The potential energy and cost savings – as well as the comfort, convenience and lifestyle benefits for the consumer – have mobilized a growing ecosystem of innovators in lighting, connectivity, energy management and home automation to enable and support wirelessly controlled intelligent lighting.
Past week at LFI 2012 in Las Vegas, NXP showcased two wireless smart lighting solutions based on IEEE 802.15.4 standards, including:
- JenNet-IP network layer software for the Internet of Things. Based on the open 6LoWPAN standard, JenNet-IP is fully IPv6-compliant, and makes it possible to extend secure connectivity, two-way communication and control to a broad network of up to 500 devices in the home. Supported by an open ecosystem including lamp manufacturers such as TCP, Inc. and Leedarson, gateway manufacturers such as Belkin, and energy management solutions provider GreenWave Reality, JenNet-IP is helping to drive down the cost of adding smart functionality into devices ranging from light bulbs to air-conditioning systems and enabling interoperability with other communication standards in the home. In Q3, NXP will launch a certification program for JenNet-IP, and will be delivering its first JenNet-IP evaluation systems. Later this year, NXP will also announce its roadmap for the open-source release of JenNet-IP, as well as the retail availability of the first Internet-enabled lamps.
- ZigBee Light Link. NXP today announced that it has achieved product certification for a ZigBee Light Link Color Scene Remote Control and an Extended Color Light. Both products are based on the JN5148-001 single-chip wireless microcontroller which has been certified as a ZigBee Compliant Platform and is a suitable development platform for the various ZigBee profiles. NXP supports ZigBee Light Link as a solution for smaller, short-range, room-based lighting applications with plug-and-play functionality.
European semiconductors sales up 14.9% this year
September 02, 2014
European sales of semiconductors in July 2014 amounted to US$ 3.273 billion, an increase of 14.9% compared to the same month ...
EE Times' annual salary & opinion survey report
Toshiba announces image sensor strategy
DelfMEMS promotes CFO to CEO
Sensata to pay $1-bn for tire pressure sensor leader
ADCs for high dynamic range – successive-approximation or sigma-delta?
September 01, 2014
Maithil Pachchigar, an applications engineer with Analog Devices Inc., looks at trade-offs that must be considered when choosing ...
Microchip in Pursuit of CSR
Samsung Funds III-V FinFETs in US Lab
A question of Europe
- Power Modules: The New Super Power
- Flexible Performance for Network Security Appliances
- Digital Power Management Reduces Energy Costs While Improving System Performance
- Using RF Recording Techniques to Resolve Interference Problems
InterviewA question of Europe
Sir Peter Bonfield sits on the board and has advisory roles in many international companies and universities. With more than 45 years of experience in electronics, computers and communications, here he ...
Filter WizardCheck out the Filter Wizard Series of articles by Filter Guru Kendall Castor-Perry which provide invaluable practical Analog Design guidelines.
Linear video channel
READER OFFERRead more
This month, Trinamic Motion Control is offering you to win one of four TMCM-1043 development kits for its highly integrated, NEMA 17-compatible TMCM-1043 stepDancer stepper motor module.
Offering designers an easy-to-use PC-based GUI that allows one-click modification of motor drive current, micro-stepping and other key parameters, the intuitive kits are custom designed and developed for...MORE INFO AND LAST MONTH' WINNERS...
December 15, 2011 | Texas instruments | 222901974
Unique Ser/Des technology supports encrypted video and audio content with full duplex bi-directional control channel over a single wire interface.