Signal conditioners claim industry's highest performance at lowest power
January 31, 2012 // Paul Buckley
Texas Instruments Incorporated has introduced 10 signal conditioners designed to drive high-speed interface standards such as 10G/40G/100G Ethernet, 10G-KR (802.3ap), InfiniBand, Fibre Channel and CPRI. The ICs join a comprehensive family of repeaters and retimers that combat signal impairments caused by insertion loss, jitter, reflections and crosstalk in high-speed enterprise servers, routers and switches.
Key features and benefits of the DS1xxDF410, DS1xxRT410 and DS100KRxxx families include:
1) Extend reach to exceed 50+ inches of FR-4 backplane or 20 meters of 26-AWG copper cable:
- 36-dB input EQ and 12-dB output de-emphasis (DE)
- Multi-tap decision feedback equalizer (DFE
- Clock and data recovery (CDR) with internal clock synthesis
- Repeaters consume 65-mW per channel; retimers with CDR consume 150-mW per channel.
2) Reduce bill of materials (BOM) cost and simplify system design:
- Fully adaptive EQ simplifies link tuning.
- Internal clock synthesis avoids the need for an external reference clock.
- Built-in eye monitor and PRBS generator simplifies system debug.
- Single power supply without the need for external RF chokes.
The signal conditioners are used to drive optical and direct-attach passive copper cables in latency-sensitive, front-port line cards, while meeting SFF8431 (SFP+) specifications. They also can be used to compensate for loss and crosstalk in backplanes, and reduce gauge thickness in active copper cable assemblies. Offered as a pin-compatible IC family, system designers can choose from repeaters (EQ and DE driver), retimers (EQ, CDR and DE driver), and advanced retimers (EQ, CDR, DFE and DE driver) to achieve the desired link performance and system cost without having to redesign their board:All news
Pay rise agreed at NXP
March 12, 2014
Mixed-signal and application-specific chip company NXP Semiconductors NV (Eindhoven, The Netherlands) has announced that ...
Digi-Key adds XP Power product line
Saft lands multi-million euro commercial space battery contract
Thinnest-known LEDs open up new miniaturization horizons
XP Power inks global distribution deal with Digi-Key
Chinese LED die production to grow by 37 percent
March 11, 2014
China’s LED die production revenues will grow 36.6% to reach $1,475 million and packaged LEDs will grow 14.8% to reach $4,812 ...
High voltage LEDs help simplify compact fixture design
Fullerene-free organic solar cells achieve record conversion efficiency
Abu Dhabi creates iMicro hub for microsystems research
- DSM presents: Select the best plastic for DDR4
- Wireless Sensor Network Challenges and Solutions
- Putting FPGAs to Work in Software Radio Systems Handbook
- Real-Time Spectrum Analysis for Troubleshooting 802.11n/ac WLAN Devices
InterviewExecutive Interview: Channelling higher power into smaller packages
EE Times Europe Power Management's editor, Paul Buckley interviews Phil Davies, VP Global Sales & Marketing of Vicor plc to discover what the leading power conversion company sees as the major technology ...
Filter WizardCheck out the Filter Wizard Series of articles by Filter Guru Kendall Castor-Perry which provide invaluable practical Analog Design guidelines.
Linear video channel
READER OFFERRead more
This month, Freescale is giving away ten RIoTboards, worth 74 dollars each, for EETimes Europe's readers to win.
Designed to run Android operating systems efficiently or to run under Linux, the board is based on the Freescale i.MX 6Solo processor; using the ARM Cortex-A9 architecture.
And the winner is...
In our previous reader offer, Crystal Display was giving...Read more
December 15, 2011 | Texas instruments | 222901974
Unique Ser/Des technology supports encrypted video and audio content with full duplex bi-directional control channel over a single wire interface.