Single-cell, dual-input Li-Ion battery charger family supports tablets, e-readers and smartphones
January 10, 2012 // Paul Buckley
Texas Instruments Incorporated has introduced a battery charger integrated circuit to support higher cell capacity batteries and increasing battery charge currents of tablets, e-readers and smartphones. The highly integrated single-cell Li-Ion battery charger has dual inputs, which allow operation from either a USB port or higher power input supply (AC adapter or wireless power input).
The two inputs are fully independent from each other and are easily configurable using the I2C interface or stand-alone interface.
Key features and benefits include:
- Integrated FETs support charge rates up to 2.5 A (10.5 W) from IN input, and 1.5 A from USB input;
- Dual source inputs, AC adapter and USB 2.0/3.0 compatibility provide flexibility in design and applications;
- D+/D- auto adapter for USB input ease system design and reduce external components;
- 20-V input with 10.5-V over voltage protection supports low-cost unregulated adapters and poor USB sources;
- Integrated power path allows system startup from deeply discharged or no battery power operating conditions;
- BC1.2 compliance, JEITA charging support and thermal regulation protection help to provide safe and accurate battery operation.
TI offers a variety of tools and support to speed the implementation of the bq2416x family of devices:
bq24160EVM-721 evaluation module: www.ti.com/bq24160EVM-pr
bq24160EVM-742 evaluation module: www.ti.com/bq241742EVM-pr
bq2416x EVM User's Guide: www.ti.com/bq2416xEVMUG
bq2416x EVM software: www.ti.com/bq24160sw-pr
RS Components and Allied Electronics connect with Rosenberger for global distribution
October 24, 2014
RS Components (RS) and Allied Electronics, the trading brands of Electrocomponents plc, have signed a global distribution ...
Pixel chip sparks energy-efficient intelligent LED headlamps
Noise cancellation: The sounds of silence in the car
HPLEDs double light output, cut costs by 40 percent
Startup creates virtual cores
Photochemical compounds for tunable OLED devices
October 24, 2014
Spanish researchers have developed new organic compounds characterized by a higher modularity, stability and efficiency, ...
Consumer chips in the car? Experts demand adequate design processes
Murata cheerleaders demonstrate sensors, swarm intelligence
Radon and VOCs detection goes personal
- 5 Best Practices for Designing Flexible Test Stations
- Intelligent PLCs Expand the Internet of Things
- Solutions for Millimeter Wave Wireless Backhaul
- Enter Linduino
InterviewCEO interview: AMS' Laney on driving a sensor-driven business
Kirk Laney, CEO of Austrian mixed-signal chip and sensor company AMS, wants to leverage the opportunity that technology affords to create new markets for sensors and sensor interfaces.
Filter WizardCheck out the Filter Wizard Series of articles by Filter Guru Kendall Castor-Perry which provide invaluable practical Analog Design guidelines.
Linear video channel
READER OFFERRead more
This month, Oscium is giving away three of its iMSO-204L dual analogue iOS oscilloscopes, worth USD400 each. Designed with native Lightning compatibility, the iMSO-204L transforms the iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch into an ultra-portable, two-channel oscilloscope.
Since Apple changed its connector, Oscium has been working to bring native compatibility to its customers. The third generation...MORE INFO AND LAST MONTH' WINNERS...
December 15, 2011 | Texas instruments | 222901974
Unique Ser/Des technology supports encrypted video and audio content with full duplex bi-directional control channel over a single wire interface.