Single-cell, dual-input Li-Ion battery charger family supports tablets, e-readers and smartphones
January 10, 2012 // Paul Buckley
Texas Instruments Incorporated has introduced a battery charger integrated circuit to support higher cell capacity batteries and increasing battery charge currents of tablets, e-readers and smartphones. The highly integrated single-cell Li-Ion battery charger has dual inputs, which allow operation from either a USB port or higher power input supply (AC adapter or wireless power input).
The two inputs are fully independent from each other and are easily configurable using the I2C interface or stand-alone interface.
Key features and benefits include:
- Integrated FETs support charge rates up to 2.5 A (10.5 W) from IN input, and 1.5 A from USB input;
- Dual source inputs, AC adapter and USB 2.0/3.0 compatibility provide flexibility in design and applications;
- D+/D- auto adapter for USB input ease system design and reduce external components;
- 20-V input with 10.5-V over voltage protection supports low-cost unregulated adapters and poor USB sources;
- Integrated power path allows system startup from deeply discharged or no battery power operating conditions;
- BC1.2 compliance, JEITA charging support and thermal regulation protection help to provide safe and accurate battery operation.
TI offers a variety of tools and support to speed the implementation of the bq2416x family of devices:
bq24160EVM-721 evaluation module: www.ti.com/bq24160EVM-pr
bq24160EVM-742 evaluation module: www.ti.com/bq241742EVM-pr
bq2416x EVM User's Guide: www.ti.com/bq2416xEVMUG
bq2416x EVM software: www.ti.com/bq24160sw-pr
Automotive electronics complexity at tipping point, study warns
August 04, 2015
Features and functions are added at rapid pace to new cars. Typically, the E/E engineers add a dedicated electronic control ...
Phone batteries leak your browsing whereabouts
NASA preps Venus ICs
'Aqueous solar flow' battery lasts longer
Google 'Street View' cars add sensors to map air quality
CoolCube circuit stacking moves to FinFET process
August 03, 2015
The CEA-Leti research laboratory at Grenoble France, has reported that its CoolCube 3D interconnect technology is suitable ...
Is NextInput next winner in Apple products?
Fraunhofer rolls security platform for cars
The Filter Wizard: When off the shelf won't do, Part 1
- Dual Phase Buck Controller Drives High Density 1.2V/60A Supply with Submilliohm DCR Sensing
- Test environment for the positioning elements of wearable devices
- Automotive Circuit Protection using Littelfuse Automotive TVS Diodes
- Top 5 Challenges for testing Today's Consumer Electronics
InterviewGlobalfoundries' CEO on why FD-SOI and why now
With its latest news Globalfoundries Inc. has not only confirmed itself as a supporter of the fully-depleted silicon-on-insulator (FD-SOI) approach to IC manufacturing but that it also thinks sufficiently ...
Filter WizardCheck out the Filter Wizard Series of articles by Filter Guru Kendall Castor-Perry which provide invaluable practical Analog Design guidelines.
Linear video channel
READER OFFERRead more
This month, Novelda is giving away two full XeThru Inspiration kits worth 1499 US Dollars each, for EETimes Europe's readers to experiment first hand with its XeThru technology.Based on the use of radio waves, rather than infrared, ultrasound or light, the company's X2M1000 Inspiration modules can detect presence just from the chest movement while breathing, and measure both the rate and... MORE INFO AND LAST MONTH' WINNERS...
December 15, 2011 | Texas instruments | 222901974
Unique Ser/Des technology supports encrypted video and audio content with full duplex bi-directional control channel over a single wire interface.