Single-cell, dual-input Li-Ion battery charger family supports tablets, e-readers and smartphones
January 10, 2012 // Paul Buckley
Texas Instruments Incorporated has introduced a battery charger integrated circuit to support higher cell capacity batteries and increasing battery charge currents of tablets, e-readers and smartphones. The highly integrated single-cell Li-Ion battery charger has dual inputs, which allow operation from either a USB port or higher power input supply (AC adapter or wireless power input).
The two inputs are fully independent from each other and are easily configurable using the I2C interface or stand-alone interface.
Key features and benefits include:
- Integrated FETs support charge rates up to 2.5 A (10.5 W) from IN input, and 1.5 A from USB input;
- Dual source inputs, AC adapter and USB 2.0/3.0 compatibility provide flexibility in design and applications;
- D+/D- auto adapter for USB input ease system design and reduce external components;
- 20-V input with 10.5-V over voltage protection supports low-cost unregulated adapters and poor USB sources;
- Integrated power path allows system startup from deeply discharged or no battery power operating conditions;
- BC1.2 compliance, JEITA charging support and thermal regulation protection help to provide safe and accurate battery operation.
TI offers a variety of tools and support to speed the implementation of the bq2416x family of devices:
bq24160EVM-721 evaluation module: www.ti.com/bq24160EVM-pr
bq24160EVM-742 evaluation module: www.ti.com/bq241742EVM-pr
bq2416x EVM User's Guide: www.ti.com/bq2416xEVMUG
bq2416x EVM software: www.ti.com/bq24160sw-pr
New cyber-physical systems as the basis for IoT: Europe has it all
March 30, 2015
15 European partners including research labs and high tech companies are joining their forces within the newly formed pan-European ...
1.5-A LDO plus regulator monitors current and temperature
Sensor data predict failure of large machines
Big data sets drones to fly
CE marking misconceptions
Fraunhofer launches test centre for high-voltage batteries
March 27, 2015
To foster electromobility, research institute Fraunhofer LBF (Darmstadt, Germany) has opened the centre for system reliability ...
Auto chip market: upheaval ahead
USD 10,000 worth of components offered in Digi-Key/Silicon Labs IoT contest
Richard Feynman and homomorphic filtering
- Intelligent Over Temperature Protection for LED Lighting Applications
- Intel helps to Turbocharge Infotainment Systems Designs
- High Performance Portable DC Bench Power Supply: Save Money and Free Up Bench Real Estate by Building Your Own
- Software-Defined Radio Handbook
InterviewInfineon: CAN FD success goes at the expense of FlexRay
The faster version of the venerable CAN bus, CAN FD is currently taking off at several carmakers. Infineon's Thomas Böhm, Head of Body / Automotive, believes this could well go at the expense of FlexRay. ...
Filter WizardCheck out the Filter Wizard Series of articles by Filter Guru Kendall Castor-Perry which provide invaluable practical Analog Design guidelines.
Linear video channel
READER OFFERRead more
This month, Freescale is giving away 5 RIoTboards, worth 74 dollars each, for EETimes Europe's readers to win.
Designed to run Android operating systems efficiently or to run under Linux, the board is based on the Freescale i.MX 6Solo processor; using the ARM Cortex-A9 architecture.
The RIoTboard platform also includes a rich set of peripherals including a 10M/100M/Gb Ethernet port, 1...MORE INFO AND LAST MONTH' WINNERS...
December 15, 2011 | Texas instruments | 222901974
Unique Ser/Des technology supports encrypted video and audio content with full duplex bi-directional control channel over a single wire interface.