Single-cell, dual-input Li-Ion battery charger family supports tablets, e-readers and smartphones
January 10, 2012 // Paul Buckley
Texas Instruments Incorporated has introduced a battery charger integrated circuit to support higher cell capacity batteries and increasing battery charge currents of tablets, e-readers and smartphones. The highly integrated single-cell Li-Ion battery charger has dual inputs, which allow operation from either a USB port or higher power input supply (AC adapter or wireless power input).
The two inputs are fully independent from each other and are easily configurable using the I2C interface or stand-alone interface.
Key features and benefits include:
- Integrated FETs support charge rates up to 2.5 A (10.5 W) from IN input, and 1.5 A from USB input;
- Dual source inputs, AC adapter and USB 2.0/3.0 compatibility provide flexibility in design and applications;
- D+/D- auto adapter for USB input ease system design and reduce external components;
- 20-V input with 10.5-V over voltage protection supports low-cost unregulated adapters and poor USB sources;
- Integrated power path allows system startup from deeply discharged or no battery power operating conditions;
- BC1.2 compliance, JEITA charging support and thermal regulation protection help to provide safe and accurate battery operation.
TI offers a variety of tools and support to speed the implementation of the bq2416x family of devices:
bq24160EVM-721 evaluation module: www.ti.com/bq24160EVM-pr
bq24160EVM-742 evaluation module: www.ti.com/bq241742EVM-pr
bq2416x EVM User's Guide: www.ti.com/bq2416xEVMUG
bq2416x EVM software: www.ti.com/bq24160sw-pr
Flexible sensor detects multiple ions in fluids
November 24, 2015
Imec and Holst Centre have demonstrated a prototype of a single-chip electrochemical sensor for simultaneous detection of ...
Starting all over again on plastic: ARM
From electronics to maths and money madness
Analog IC market growth set to slow
Volkswagen deploys data glasses in series production
Startup CircuitSeed wants to be the ARM of analogue
November 23, 2015
Founded last summer after two years of preliminary research and with several patents pending, Californian startup Circuit ...
Imagination Technologies leverages kickstarter for IoT kit launch
Taiwan considers lifting China investment ban
Why Japan hasn't led IoT
- Battery Size Matters
- Software-Defined Radio Handbook - 11th edition
- Multichemistry Buck Battery Charger Controller
- Automotive Circuit Protection using Littelfuse Automotive TVS Diodes
InterviewCEO interview: InvenSense's Abdi on expanding MEMS horizons
InvenSense Inc. is a MEMS company that has epitomized a fabless approach to a sector that is still highly reliant on a thorough grasp of the manufacturing and packaging processes. We interviewed CEO Behrooz ...
Filter WizardCheck out the Filter Wizard Series of articles by Filter Guru Kendall Castor-Perry which provide invaluable practical Analog Design guidelines.
Linear video channel
READER OFFERRead more
This month, FTDI Chip is giving away six MCU development board packages complete with a dedicated compiler (including a full integrated development environment).
Worth Euro 315 each, the packages include a credit card sized Clicker 2 board for the FT90X 32-bit MCU supplied alongside a powerful dedicated compiler from MikroElektronika.
MORE INFO AND LAST MONTH' WINNERS...
December 15, 2011 | Texas instruments | 222901974
Unique Ser/Des technology supports encrypted video and audio content with full duplex bi-directional control channel over a single wire interface.