Built using ST's third generation of trench-gate field-stop low-loss technology, the M-series IGBTs feature a new trench gate and a specially designed P-N-P vertical structure that together deliver the best trade-off between conduction and switch-off losses and significantly improve the overall performance of the devices. A short-circuit withstand time of 6 µsec minimum at 150°C starting junction temperature, the extended maximum operating junction temperature of 175°C, and a wide Safe Operating Area (SOA) extend service lifetime and boost reliability in applications where high power dissipation is required.
The devices are available in packages that include a new generation of free-wheeling diodes optimised for fast recovery whilst maintaining a low forward drop and a high level of softness. This provides excellent EMI protection while reducing switch-on losses. The positive VCE(sat) temperature coefficient, together with tight parameter distribution, enables the devices to be safely paralleled for even higher power requirements.
Features of the M series include:
- 650V operation, compared to 600V for most competitive devices;
- Low VCE(sat) (1.55V @25°C) to minimise conduction losses;
- Outstanding robustness, with large SOA and latch-free operation;
- Best-available Etot vs Vce(sat) trade-off;
- 175°C maximum operating junction temperature;
- 6 µsec of minimum short-circuit withstand capability at high temperature;
- Very limited voltage overshoot and no oscillation during switch-off.
M series parts in this release come in 10A and 30A current ratings in a selection of power packages including the TO-220, D2PAK, and TO-247 LL long-lead. Pricing starts at $1.00 for the 10A STGP10M65DF2 in a TO-220 package (1000).